TurboTax - .NET troubles - Aaron Stebner
For several months I've had errors in Windows Update whenever it tried to install patches or updates to Microsoft.NET. Since all my programs were running fine, I ignored the errors and went on with my work. Yesterday, I tried to install and update Intuit TurboTax 2007 and it failed to open due to a problem with (wait for it)...... Microsoft.NET. I tried following the instruction on the Intuit site but that didn't do it for me. After some web searching and reading and a couple of failed attempts to install various versions of .NET, I determined that the best approach was a clean start. I decided to remove all versions of .NET, rename the Windows folder for .NET and install the earliest rollup version of .NET; version 1.1. This still didn't do the trick after several variations and reboots. Finally I found a tool that removes all traces of all versions of .NET on a blog site by Aaron Stebner and here's what worked:
1. use control panel > add/remove to remove all .net programs
3. run cleanup_tool.exe (from Aaron Stebner)
5. run dotnetfx.exe (Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Setup)
6. run NetFx20SP1_x86.exe (Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 Setup)
7. run NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe (Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1)
8. run Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (used Microsoft Update)
9. reinstall TurboTax
Since the links and installers for the various .NET versions are subject to change, I didn't include them here but you can search for them on the Microsoft Download Center. I'll keep copies of these files on my PC for a while so e-mail me if you can't find any of them.
Happy tax season.
|Posted by John at 7:56:38 AM in Software (18)|